In my area, we don’t really get a clear spring season. There is about a week between what your body knows as “impossibly cold” and “impossibly hot” that sometimes has pleasantly cool, yet somehow sunny days.
The thing that confirms that Spring actually is trying to happen are the very windy days. Windy as in Wizard of Oz, sweep away your house, constantly blow your skirt over your head windy. Spring-Summer (my affectionate term for our “spring”) is also confirmed by temperatures that go from a cool 68F in the morning to a blazing 91F by midday.
But don’t let my natural Sauce Pot tone of vocie fool you. I really love this weather. Here are a few of my favorite parts:
- The birds that return to sharing their morning songs
- Grilled pineapple and salmon skewers
- Sparkling water with a key lime squeezed into it
- Dogs that sit in the pooling sunlight and turn their noses to the interesting winds
- The smell of sunscreen
- Walking through the local rose gardens (and the orchid house)
- Green wine on restaurant patios — bonus for having some friends along
Excuses abound for gathering people in Spring-Summer, too.
- Beer fests
- BBQ fests
- Bacon fests
- Hanging Out in My Friend’s Backyard fests*
So welcome, Spring-Summer, and please don’t rain down tornados and torrential rain this year.
~ Much love, Josepha
* That is made up, technically, but you also know just what I mean.